General Exercise Physiology Services
Accredited exercise physiologists (AEPs) hold a four-year university degree and are allied health professionals who specialise in the delivery of exercise for the prevention and management of chronic diseases and injuries. Our AEP will conduct an initial interview collecting information about health history and physical activity habits assess your functional capabilities and devise a customised exercise program to complete in the facility or at home.
You might see an AEP to help you:
• Overcome persisting pain caused by injury or overuse
• Improve your heart health
• Rehabilitate following a cardiac event
• Control your diabetes
• Prevent pre-diabetes from progressing to full diabetes
• Improve your recovery following cancer treatment
• Improve your general health and well being
• GP Exercise Referral Scheme
• Chronic Disease Management Plan
• Group Services for Type 2 Diabetes
• Department of Veteran Affairs referrals
• Exercise Physiology Work Conditioning Programs (WorkCover NSW)
• Hospital to community based exercise transition group
Programs can be devised to be conducted in a gym or in your home.
Some Private health funds offer rebated for exercise physiology services.
GP Exercise Referral
The GP exercise referral scheme has been developed to assist individuals overcome some of the barriers to increasing their physical activity by providing safe, supervised exercise programs.
GP EXERCISE REFERRAL SCHEME (GPERS)
Following your GP referral our ESSA (Exercise & Sport Science Australia) Accredited Exercise Physiologists will assess your functional capabilities and customise an exercise program to meet your needs and help you achieve your goals. Qualified fitness professionals will supervise your exercise whilst helping you to build your confidence and motivation.
Our GPERS program comprises of:
• Initial Assessment - Health Plan and evaluation.
• 10 Supervised Exercise Sessions - Progression of fitness/health.
• Reassessment - Future health and treatment pathway.
GPERS can help with;
•Exercise and Lifestyle support.
• Weight Management.
• Osteoporosis and arthritis management.
• Diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol control.
• Cardiac or respiratory exercise prescription.
• Optimise musculoskeletal function.
• BMI >30 or Waist Circumference > 90cm.
Gold Card holders
Entitled to clinically necessary treatment covered by DVA’s health care arrangements for all health conditions.
White Card holders
Entitled to clinically necessary treatment for the following conditions:
• An ‘accepted’ disability, i.e. an injury or disease accepted by DVA as caused by war or service;
• Malignant cancer (neoplasia);
• Pulmonary tuberculosis;
• Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD);
• Anxiety and/or depression
Please note that DVA will not, under any circumstance, cover the cost of using the facility unsupervised.
Referral: Can be made by GP or specialist using the D904 referral.
Eligibility for Medicare Services
Patients who have a chronic medical condition and complex care needs and are being managed by their GP under a GP Management Plan are eligible for Medicare rebates for Exercise Physiology services on referral from their GP.
Please note: Whether a patient is eligible for services is a clinical judgment for the GP, taking into account the patient’s medical condition and care needs, as well as the general guidance set out in the MBS.
Chronic Disease Management Plan
People with a chronic medical condition may be able to get Medicare benefits to cover up to five allied health consultations that help manage their condition. A chronic medical condition is one that has been (or is likely to be) present for six months or longer, for example, asthma, cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, musculoskeletal conditions and stroke.
Group Services for Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
If you have type 2 diabetes and your GP has prepared a GP Management Plan, you may be referred for an assessment and group allied health services to help you manage your diabetes. Group services are in addition to the five individual allied health services available to eligible patients who have a chronic or terminal condition.
Injury Rehabilitation (Work Conditioning)
Our Accredited Exercise Physiologists provide functional, corrective exercise services for individuals under Workplace and CTP injury claims.
Each exercise prescription is designed to restore coordination, strength and confidence in people to be able to return to pre-injury activities and ensure that they are equipped for lasting recovery.
Accredited Exercise Physiologist provide functional exercise for the purpose of returning an injured individual to pre-injury activities following the acute phase of treatment. Both Workplace and CTP claims can be catered for at Padstow Chiropractic through Exercise Physiology. Throughout the exercise prescription the goal is to restore strength, technique and confidence to ensure that an injured person is equipped for a lasting recovery.
Return to Work Outline.
• Initial Exercise Physiology Assessment.
• Exercise Prescription.
• Subsequent Communication and Conferencing.
• Return to Work Facilitation.
• Job Preparation Services.
How to Start.
• Nominated Treating Doctor (NTD) Referral.
• Insurer Approves Initial Assessment.
• Exercise Physiology Initial Assessment
• Management Plan, Goal and Outcomes Agreed.
• Return to Work.